Re: [opensuse-project] Unnanswered questions regarcing Novell-Microsoft agreements
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 16:47:57 +0100

Hi Ray,

I think these questions where answered in previous postings, or in the FAQs.

Do you have read the mails on this topic in the archive ?

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/

FAQs:

http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/community_open_letter.html
http://www.novell.com/en-en/linux/microsoft/faq.html

Am Wednesday 06 December 2006 16:44 schrieb Ray David Whitmer:
> 1. How does one support Suse as a customer while avoiding and opposing
> the per-seat false patent tax collected by Novell in behalf of Microsoft?
>
> 2. Can/will Novell still use its patents to protect open projects by
> threatening to sue Microsoft to keep projects free as was pledged in the
> past.
>
> 3. Not even Microsoft and Novell can contest the fact that they did
> their best to circumvent the intent of the GPL. Does this set the tone
> for the future, especially with respect to the likely adoption of GPL v3
> terms to close the holes exploited by Microsoft through Novell in this
> case? How do we know whether Novell will continue down this course they
> have set and work against the interests of the community? If Microsoft
> starts threatening more actively, which this license from Novell seems
> to encourage them to do, which side is Novell on? Will Novell campaign
> against the best interests of the community in the fighting patenting of
> Free technologies?
>
> Ray Whitmer
> ray@xxxxxxxx

Adrian Schroeter