Re: [opensuse-project] New versioning system?
  • From: d.gavrilovic <d.gavrilovic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:32:11 -0500
On 12/4/06, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> About the version numbering, it has already been stated that the numbering
> has no real purpose, exept for marketing, so let's leave it at that. I
> asume that when SLES and SLED come out, openSUSE will become openSUSE 11.
> (Yeah, it goes to eleven)

Year number version could be nice and informative; for instance, some
new chap buying it on a shop would know if he was getting the latest or
not.

I don't agree. But it's just a subjective opinion. Having the year or
month release -- I can't personally see a benefit to that. Will I
really care that I am using the SUSE released in Dec 2006 in a year
from now? All I really care about is that I am using a good and stable
release.

What might be interesting and useful might be tacking on something to
distinguish exemplar releases. Perhaps based on least amount of
bugs/complains/issues received by SUSE teams 6 months after the
release. So for example, you might having something like this for the
9.x series.
- SUSE 9.0
- SUSE 9.1+
- SUSE 9.2
- SUSE 9.3

I have no idea how practical or doable something like this would be.
Am I am sure holes can be poked at the idea. It's just an idea.
--
"Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of
the surest stepping stones to success." - Dale Carnegie