Re: [opensuse-project] New versioning system?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:46:52 +0100
On Monday 04 December 2006 22:27, jdd sur free wrote:
> the 5 years of SLED may be too
> much for an individual...

It's actually 7 years for SLES and SLED.

And yes, given the complaints on these lists if the latest KDE packages aren't
out the second they are released, I have a feeling many people would get very
bored

It does however bring back to my mind my suggestion for a distribution scheme,
where a release consists only of the base packages, the core OS. Then on top
of that have add-on products like KDE, Gnome, Apache etc. all shipped as
individual CD addons, separate products.

Then you could have a stable core, well tested and integrated, and have more
frequent updates of the desktop eye candy

Ideally, it would also force the people who produce statistics on security
bugs to separate a bug in e.g. koffice from a bug in glibc or the kernel,
bringing some sort of sanity to the numbers