Re: [opensuse-project] New versioning system?
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:09:46 +0100

On Monday, December 04, 2006 at 20:15:56, Grozdan Nikolov wrote:
> On Monday 04 December 2006 20:01, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
> > On Monday, December 04, 2006 at 19:02:49, Grozdan Nikolov wrote:
> > > We are already at openSUSE 10.x, and after a few years we could reach
> > > openSUSE 14 or 15, this just sounds a little odd to me.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> I don't know, it just sounds odd to me, and none of the other distros have
> such a high release number. I also think that by doing a "year release
> number" like 2007.1 or 2007.2 will point out to new comers to Linux with what
> version they are dealing,

Whats the difference to some other number?

> like from which year the version they are using is.

Ah that. Of what use would that information be? I cant think of any. And
if someone is as braindead as that and has a problem with numbers that
do not correlate directly with a date i dont think your scheme would
help very much...

> Also it would be good, IMO, that SUSE releases only once a year. I don't know
> if this is possible and if Novell has something to say about it, but by
> releasing only once a year we could have a far more stable, well tested, less
> bug prone,

very old, very boring

> releases.

> They, and I'm one of them, also claim that SUSE's quality testing has dropped
> very low.

I dont think this is true. In the past we always had bad releases
because someone f***ed up / something vital was FUBAR. We have that now
and we will have that in the future. I remember 5.3, 6.1, 7.1, 8.2 and
more. All utterly broken piles of dogpoo...

> Also, most SUSE users want to use their system a little longer
> before upgrading to a newer release.

An no one forces them to do so. SUSE users have two years before they
"have" to update.

Henne Vogelsang,
"To die. In the rain. Alone."
Ernest Hemingway