Re: [opensuse-project] Upgrade from one suse to the next
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 02:59:12 -0600
On 2006-11-23 01:04, jdd sur free wrote:
> Jay Smith a écrit :
>> Hey, with the upcoming arrival of OpenSuse 10.2, I was wondering, can
>> anyone tell
>> me how to upgrade from one suse to a higher version w/o having to use
>> a CD/DVD? I
>> am imagining that there must be some way to upgrade from OpenSuSe
>> 10.1 itself or
>> online or something. Let me know if anyone has any idea. Thanks
>
> this is explained on the wiki
> jdd

Which you have to dig a lot in to find :-)

Since the OP doesn't appear to subscribe to opensuse (at least he
doesn't post there), here's my reply from there (with caveat spelled
properly this time):

http://en.opensuse.org/Updating_SUSE_Linux

Essentially you are just adding the new version's installation
repository as an installation source, and updating everything for which
a newer version is available (which of course will be everything you
have installed already). If you have installed anything from an external
repository, eg. from Packman or the opensuse "additional" repositories,
you will also have to amend those entries to point to the new version's
packages. Anything which cannot be upgraded must be removed.

Caveat emptor -- there is a strong warning at the top of the page that
this procedure is not supported, and I suspect the overwhelming majority
of the list's members would strongly recommend against it.