Re: [opensuse-project] Closing the Candor Gap at Novell
  • From: Ricardo Cruz <rpmcruz@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:11:46 +0000
Saill White wrote (@ Quarta, 15 de Novembro de 2006 22:17):
> I don't understand why MS would pay a huge sum of money to:
>
> 1. Declare a patent detente that everyone claims is unnecessary.
> 2. Assist Novell with interoperability issues with Office (in a limited
> way) and with virtualization.

The second point was obvious to me. Microsoft enterprise market is big but
unstable. A lot of customers are unsatisfied and they want a better solution.
However, because of interoperability problems, they either do a mass
migration or they stay the same due to the cost that implies. Either way,
it's bad for Microsoft to work in such an unstable market, so they try to
provide customers with an alternative of a mixed solution, as well as
technical support. This might be bad in a short term, but it will allow them
to keep a stable customer base, which is much better to work with and the
stock holders prefer.
For the Novell's part, the benefits are obvious. Btw, it seems they are
trying to negociate with other distribuitions.

I dunno why the patent agreement part. I guess Microsoft only wants the
interoperability software they will develop to only work for the
distributions they make agreements with. But this is pure speculation.

Cheers,
Ricardo

--
Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your
shoes.