Re: [opensuse-project] Question on openSUSE and Novell-MS collaboration
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:47:33 +0100
> I'd like to how openSUSE should think about this topic. I don't think
> it a weird question, because the "Microsoft/Novell Collaboration" news
> is at the top page of opensuse.org site.
>
> 1.It is a very important news to openSUSE, so the users should keep
> watching on this topic.
> 2.It is just a matter of Novell and has nothing or very little to do
> with openSUSE.
> 3.openSUSE only report the news and do not think it should make any
> comments.
> 4.Now discussing. Later there'll be some announcement from openSUSE.
>
> Either of the 4 would be all right for me. I just like to know.

IMO 1, 2 and 3

2+3: It's a Novell management decision, has nothing to do with
openSUSE nor the community (and not even the SUSE staff).
1: Maybe we will suffer under the consequences.

To avoid further FUD and discredit of openSUSE.org (including its
community), maybe it would be a good idea to post the position of the
openSUSE.org community (and staff) somewhere on the website, to make
it clear that:
- it's a decision that has been taken by Novell management, not by the
openSUSE.org project (that was obviously not involved into that (which
is understandable))
- we do "business" as usual
- openSUSE.org is an *open source community and effort*, respect that
- SUSE Linux/openSUSE is still the finest distribution around ;)

_\_v http://www.fosdem.org http://opensuse.org