Re: [opensuse-programming] C# DateTime and Linux gettimeofday
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:23:53 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

The Linux/UNIX gettimeofday() function reports the time in the current
Epoch. That Epoch is defined as starting "00:00:00 UTC, January 1,
1970"

C# provides a DateTime interface with a similar concept of time in the
current Epoch. Just to make life interesting, C# defines the Epoch as
being "12:00:00, January 1, 0001". (Note the mysterious absence of UTC
in that start...)

This is, of course, just some offset. My problem is that I am trying
to find out if the offset is some agreed international standard.

I don't think it is - it is operating-system dependent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_time#Retrieving_system_time

This question has arisen because we I am integrating some fancy Danish
reflection measurement device into our Linux apps. The data provided
by these devices is timestamped with UTC time - encoded with the C#
DateTime functions, e.g., 5246315282908540247, which must have been
around 1400 UTC today.

Just wondering - why not just stick to UTC timestamps, and ignore the
Epoch?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich