Re: [opensuse-programming] Redefining GNU make's implicit RM variable
  • From: John D Lamb <J.D.Lamb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 07:34:32 +0100
On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 13:37 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

All I am really trying to accomplish is to not have the make process
echo the rm command when it removes objects it make to satisfy some
rule. So, I want to define it as:

RM = @rm -f

I guess the built-in rule uses 'rm' instead of $(RM). At least it is
acting that way. Another odd thing is that the Gnu docs say the default
RM command is 'rm -f'. But I see 'rm' being used.

Am I looking in the wrong place to redefine RM?

No. You can redefine RM as an environmental variable and make will use
what it finds.

Check the makefile, especially if you did not write it by hand. Does it
use ${RM} to remove files? If not then changing RM will have no effect.
Makefiles created by configure scripts usually don’t use ${RM}.

--
JDL