Re: [opensuse-programming] Why you sometimes need assembler
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:53:45 +0100
Thomas Hertweck wrote:

On 13/01/10 07:37, Per Jessen wrote:
[...]
No myth at all. Perhaps you haven't met many very good assembler
programmers? It's not really a topic I have a desire to debate (I
know from experience that I am right).

I am (at least with one leg) in the HPC software development business
and I say your point of view is somewhat biased.

Yeah, that I can't deny.

Nowadays there's hardly any reason for writing assembler code
directly. There are, of course, a few occasions where you are right
and hand-optimized assembler code will outperform code generated by
any compiler. But that's not a statement you can apply globally.

I think it is - what you may have is a situation where the difference is
not measurable or not significant, or not worth it when weighed up
against the other factors (maintainability, productivity).

Of course if you write bad C/Fortran/C++ or whatever code and you hope
for the compiler to come up with some magic to create an ultra-fast
assembler out of it, then you're wrong.

Certainly, that would not be a fair comparison.

I would like to see the C code you used as baseline reference and
information about the compiler and access to your hand-optimized code
to actually have a look at it myself. Without showing evidence, you
just make empty statements.

Well, it's up to people who believe otherwise to prove me wrong :-)

All I did were some plain wall-time measurements, I didn't use the
C-code performance as a baseline, I just took a quick look at the
generated code, and knew I could do better.

AFAIC, the main argument is that if the compiler uses 100 instructions
to implement an algorithm, and I use 90, that's 10 instructions saved
(all instructions being equal). I've been writing assembler code for
more than 20 years, and I'm quite certain I can do better.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich