Re: [opensuse-programming] Which assembler ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:45:37 +0100
Petr Baudis wrote:

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 07:01:28PM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Which assembler do I pick for i386 and x86_64 ?
[snip]

I'm not really familiar with yasm, lzasm or fasm, but I personally use
this rule of thumb:

(i) If I have bunch of Intel-syntax assembler source I need to
compile, or I need to do something very raw, I use nasm.

(ii) Otherwise, I use gas.

I think these two projects are most likely to never fall out of
maintenance and continue gaining support for whatever new
architectures and instructions coming by (especially gas is virtually
guaranteed to stay alive as long as GNU/Linux does),

Continued support and in particular development would be important for
my decision too, yes.

and they are usually installed on any Linux with a development
toolchain, so I wonder what compelling advantages the other assemblers
have.

I have not yet gathered sufficient experience with any of the others,
only TASM (for the i386 platform), but because I might be rewriting
many tens-of-thousands lines of code, productivity is important, i.e. I
want an assembler that supports more than just the odd function written
in assembler.

gas uses very different syntax from what the Intel assembly hackers
are used to, but it's worth learning it - you will gain access to
assembly of pretty much any architecture out there, you can use the
integrated assembly support in gcc, you can read gdb's disass output,
etc etc.

Okay, thanks.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich