Re: [opensuse-programming] What's the best way to cure uninitialized variables?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:55:47 +0200
Dave Plater wrote:

From what I can understand m_padding is simply extra memory in case of
overflow.

I think it's more likely to be a filler to make sure the struct always
has a certain size - for boundary alignment, optimized access or some
such. Many instructions (SSEx for instance) require that data
structures are on certain boundaries.

Thanks very much for your help Per and Philip, the package builds on
local osc and works on my machine but I still have quite a few spec
file problems to sort out before it will build online meanwhile I will
submit the patch to blender.org devs to see if any unforeseen dangers
may have been created.

Let us know how it goes.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich