Re: [suse-programming-e] LD_RUN_PATH on SUSE 10.x
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:19:59 +0200
On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 08:23 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 22:59 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > I am confused. LD_RUN_PATH is used during compilation, not during execution,
> > as far as I'm aware. The runtime version is LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> LD_RUN_PATH results in information being added to the built executable
> that will tell it where to look for libs at runtime, independent of any
> places told at runtime. It becomes part of the binary. Hence the 'RUN'
> in the name.
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is something you can set in the runtime environment that
> also tells where to look for libraries. It had nothing to do with
> compilation.

I'm not entirely sure why you felt you had to repeat what I said, but
the point of my email was: why not create a wrapper script for your
application that does

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/your/library

and then executes the application that needs the special lib

This seems like a much nicer solution than to add extra directories to for one particular app (and it beats the living daylights out
of hardcoding the path to the lib at compile time)