C++ and assembler (was: threads and file descriptors)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 15:34:42 +0200
Jerry Feldman wrote:

> But, my point about C++ and assembler is missed.
> While a well written and commented assembler program can be highly
> maintainable, a program PROPERLY written in a higher level language
> should be more maintainable and more portable.

Completely agree. The one thing with C++ - in my experience that is -
is that many programmers seem to loose track of the objective, and
start writing code just for the sake of the code. You can do a
thousand really elegant things with C++, but they're not always
necessary.

> However, the assembler code should perform better. In terms of
> maintainability, assembler is generally no taught in most schools
> where C++, C and Java are.

Whether a topic is taught in the schools I see more as a question of
productivity - ie. can you hire a new graduate and have him do
productive work right away. In the few places where assembler would
still be warranted, a new graduate wouldn't be much good e.g. due to
lack of OS knowledge.

> In the case of the programming staff at the bank, I was probably the
> only programmer analyst who knew IBM assembler (a couple of the
> systems programmers did).

I would never advocate writing applications in assembler, only
system-level software. Not even in TPF (where everything is about
speed) do they write apps in assembler (well, not anymore).

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

< Previous Next >
List Navigation
Follow Ups