Re: [suse-programming-e] C++ and assembler (was: threads and file descriptors)
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:52:29 -0400
On Wednesday 10 May 2006 9:34 am, Per Jessen wrote:
> Completely agree.  The one thing with C++ - in my experience that is -
> is that many programmers seem to loose track of the objective, and
> start writing code just for the sake of the code.  You can do a
> thousand really elegant things with C++, but they're not always
> necessary.
True. While I tend to work with some very highly competent engineers, one
thing I've seen in the industry is that many of the C++ programmers not
only don't know C++, but have no real training of writing maintainable code
or in software engineering techniques. Object oriented code requires more
front-end design than procedural code.

An example, might be writing a date class. The programmer wrote a date class
that could parse a couple of different inputs, and display output in
different formats, but lacked a viable comparison function. Because of the
way it was written and the data stored, it was useless as a base class for
comparison. The solution in this case, was to write a new date base class
that included comparison functions, then restructure the old data class to
inherit from the new base class.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group