Re: [suse-programming-e] What is the easiest way to downgrade g++?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:17:30 +0100
On Friday 24 March 2006 23:54, Darrell Cormier wrote:
> Actually, the only test I have made is on an Ubuntu system that happened to
> have the 3.3.6 installed along with the 4.0.2. With 4.0.2 I get the
> errors, but when I switch to 3.3.6 with the exact same kdevelop projects
> the build works fine.

ok, then maybe something is testing for the gcc version, and doesn't recognise
versions 4.x.x, and does something silly, I don't know. The point is that if
you compile the project with the -save-temps flag to leave intermediate files
around, you will see that the std::min( and std::max( from those two lines
have been turned into something completely different.

And I doubt it's gcc's fault. The quickie fix for you might be to get the
older compiler and keep using it, but if it were me doing the development, I
would prefer fixing the real error, so I wouldn't have to stay on older
versions indefinitely.

On the other hand, if your counterpart has built binary libraries that you are
trying to link to, and those libraries were written in c++, then I don't
think you have much of a choice, you have to use the same version of g++ as
he did. The gcc c++ project changes ABI quite frequently, in my experience

--
Certified: Yes. Certifiable: of course!
jabber ID: anders@xxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >