Re: [suse-programming-e] coding direction dilemma
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:50:29 -0700

> I second the sentiment about incentive to bust a gut doing something
> original, then having to give it away, and your conclusion about
> amateur status as well. I suspect that is why the LPGL (which I never
> heard of before you brought it up :-) ) came about. I don't think
> anyone will come after you for basing something on Motif & selling
> it, though. You could buy a cheap Octane on Ebay (& IRIX ROMs as
> well, all legal) & you would be free to develope Motif apps to your
> hearts content. You could also claim that that's how you developed
> the app & I suspect nobody would be the wiser. That is essentially
> what I do ;-), develope on SGI's, port to Linux, & off to the races.

If you want to take total credit and profit for software you write,
write it _all_ yourself. And I do mean all of it: the compilers, the
libraries, the operating system, the device drivers, the utilities and
every last little thing you use. By no means should you in any way
avail yourself of any open source software. Then you can sell your
prize creation for anything you want. Of course, you'll be left in the
dust by all the other developers who are willing to abide by open
source licenses and can thus benefit by the fruits of collective
effort.

If you're such a Randian, hyper-individualistic "self-made man", then
you really have to do it all. Take on _all_ aspects of creation and
don't rely on any other freely shared work of others. You really ought
not use any public resources at all: No public schooling, no public
libraries, nor any access, direct or indirect, to any of the science
and technology produced by publicly funded efforts. Otherwise, you're
just another greedy Libertarian hypocrite.

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >