Re: [suse-programming-e] Programming standards!
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:04:24 -0700
Stefan,

On Friday 15 April 2005 07:44, Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
> On Friday 15 April 2005 14:43, Colin Carter wrote:
> > Yes, I have noticed how most modern programs waste time poling the
> > mirriad of open windows ....
>
> Urgh - folks, can we stop the urban legends at some point, please?

Thank you.

I get really sick of the same old uninformed criticisms of "programs and
programmers these days." Clearly the people who spout these critiques
don't understand what it's like to develop software today. Between the
feature and schedule pressure commonly brought to bear on software
developers, it's no surprise software isn't what it should be.

Are modern programs optimum in their use of computational resources?
Hell no. Management wouldn't tolerate what it takes in terms of
development investment to make it so, and it has nothing to do with O-O
languages or lazy programming.

As program and system size and complexity have grown, technologies like
Object-Oriented languages are a necessity to manage that complexity. It
is the primary reason those techniques were developed, and they are by
no means trivial in what the bring to the working programmer and
software designer.

Ultimately, all engineering is embodies trade-offs (technical, social,
organizational, market, etc.), and software engineering is no
exception.

Randall Schulz