Re: [suse-programming-e] Profile assembly instructions of a program
  • From: cincaipatron@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:50:26 +0100 (MET)
John Lamb wrote:
> cincaipatron@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > how to get the assembly-instructions profile of a program
> > in Linux (or Unix in general), similar with what gprof
> > does, just that gprof is in higher-language (C/C++) level?
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but g++/gcc -S might be what you
> want. It creates a file 'file.s' with the assembly instructions in it.

Well, seems that I need more than what gcc -S provides, because
it's like producing the "source code" in assembly languages.

What I'm looking for is something similar with what gprof does,
such as which instruction is called most often, how many times,
etc., or maybe the assembly-instruction is part of which function
(in C/C++).

So far I know two types of profiling tools: gprof and memory
profiler (valgrind and friends); I don't know if what I mentioned
is available or people have ever done it.

Regards,
Verdi

1 GB Mailbox bereits in GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail

< Previous Next >