Re: [suse-programming-e] Accessing serial port
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:16:40 -0500
On Thursday 27 January 2005 07:37, Jose Thadeu Cavalcante wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I access serial port by programming?
The serial ports may be accessed by using the device special
file, /dev/ttyS[01].
Also look at the termios(3) man page.
The key to serial port programming is to first set the speed, parity, echo
et. al. to what you want. Also make sure that there is not a getty process
running on that port.

Several years ago, I was doing a satellite communications software via the
serial port, and to test it, I set up a loop back on ports 0 and 1. (This
was complicated because it was on a 64 bit Alpha where the 2 serial ports
used a single 25 pin connector, so I had to hand craft my null modem.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group