Rebuilding old source rpm packages on x86_64
  • From: Michael Stevens <Michael.Stevens@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:24:08 +0200
Hello All,

I wondering if anyone here know enough about rpm system on SuSE and x86_64 to
help with the following.
In SuSE9.1 Professional 'lapack' is no-longer included. My usual approach to
this is to take the source package from the previous version 9.0 and rpmbuild
myself a new package.

The tricky bit is I want to do this on an x86_64 machine running the 64bit
compilers. I also need to produce both a standard x86_64 binary rpm as well
as a i586 binary rpm. The later is equivalent to the '-32bit' packages in the
distribution.

The i586 binary is particularly hard. It seems that:
a) You cannot simply use a binary rpm built on a 32bit version of SuSE9.1.
b) When building on x86_64 machine I need to change the metadata. At the very
least I need to pass '-m32' to gcc.

If anyone has any documentation pointers in this direction I would be very
grateful.

Michael Stevens