Matthias Ettrich in praise of MS Windows IDE's
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:29:22 -0500

"Favorite editor? Hard to say. I'm mostly using XEmacs and it's quite ok. But
it's not my favorite. It lacks very useful editing features known from
MS-Windows IDE's, like showing a function's arguments when typing a call in
the code. This requries profound C++ parsing and understanding in real-time,
nothing you can do fast enough in lisp, unfortunately. So eventually, we have
to replace Emacs with a K-Tool, I guess."

This is now a couple years old, but things really haven't changed regarding
C++ that much. It's getting there in KDevelop, but right now it's got the
best of them challenged. Part of the reason the functionality isn't there is
because too many people don't share Matthias's opinion. But what's Matthias
Ettrich know about programming anyway?

STH

< Previous Next >