Re: [suse-programming-e] KDevelop. Opinions? Experience?
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:06:08 -0500

On Thursday 26 February 2004 12:48 pm, dries wrote:
> Steven T. Hatton wrote :
> > Has anybody worked with KDevelop? IMO this is one of the most important
> > projects in the Linux Community, and especially in the KDE environment.

> I've been working a bit with KDevelop. I had no previous experience with
> this kind of 'draw and fill in' kind of programming tools. I have had some
> trouble attaching functionality to UI-elements. This mainly because there
> are not many good examples that start from an "i've never used a tool like
> this" perspective.

There's your first mistake! Reading the instructions. ;-)

I have to say, most of the tutorial stuff I read was basically worthless to
me. Some of it is simply out of date. OTOH, I haven't read that much of it.
I tend to search documentation for specific answers as I go along.

> On the other hand once i got started i must admit it is
> good to use. The main problem i've encountered is that the few tutorials
> out there are not really explaining why they do what they do. And that
> there are 2 kinds of tutorials, the ones that just get you started and the
> ones that startout with multipledocument stuff and other rather complex
> stuff.

I just try things until I figure out how they work. Since my scope is
currently fairly limited, I don't have that much problem right now. I have a
lot of suggestions for new features, but I'm waiting until the core gets a
bit more stabilized. I feel sorry for developers who have serious
functionality problems to address, and significant features to add while
people are adding wishlist items about how the icons suck.

> That's why i (still) allways use the 'KDE-mini' type of application, this
> is because i wan't some gui stuff done in a simple manner.

I haven't learned the KDE aspect of programming well enough to try using the
big KDE app templates. Someone needs to draw some pictures of what these
apps look like in block diagram space. I'm not really talking about UML. If
don't find UML all that effective in communicating the conceptual essence of
design. OTOH, UML would be better than nothing. I'm sticking to the Qt
qmake, based stuff.

The automake & friends can do some truly incredible stuff. I've used it a
bit, and it really does gnuify your app automagically.

> Things i still don't understand well :

Take this to the KDevelop user's list, or even the developer's list. I'm not
saying it's inappropriate for this list, just that these questions would do
some good for the project. It's not a finished product. It is still very
much a work in progress. Yes, I know they have releases, and the releases
are basically usable. But there are many features that aren't fully
implemented, and, as you have observed, much that needs to be documented.

> 1) What is the 'real approved' method to attach my QT-designer gui to my
> program (now i just inherit it to the gui to the application like this :
>
> DevEnv::DevEnv(QWidget *parent, const char *name) : MainForm(parent,
> name)
>

> 2) How can i change the complete gui in a window by clicking a button of
> the current gui in that window ? (functionality i want for some reason
> (don't ask me why)).
>

> But in general i would say KDevelop is a powerfull application that (in my
> opinion) could be even more powerfull (and attractive to new users) if more
> easy to follow tutorials at more levels of experience were added.
>
> Grtz Dries
>
> --
> 01110111 01110111 01110111 00101110 01110000 01110010
> 01110101 01101001 01101101 01100010 01101111 01101111
> 01101101 00101110 01110100 01101011 <End of message>
STH