Re: [opensuse-ppc] Re: Booting openSUSE-NET-ppc-Build0003-Media.iso
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:16:07 -0500
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Andreas Färber <afaerber@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Our quest here is testing and fixing Factory, not running some
old-but-working version. :) Kudos to Dinar for getting it this far already!
So I am mainly in need of pointers how to get some of these fixed.

I realize that. Was just offering an alternative.

I notice that the CD that boots fine uses \suse\yaboot.ibm, whereas the
FAT16 boot partition uses just a yaboot file. Are there differences
between yaboot and yaboot.ibm maybe? I tried appending all kinds of
things in OF such as :1,yaboot without success, and the SMS menu is able
to boot fine from CD but not from disk.

Way back when, you had to use CD2 to boot the IBM style systems.
That's probably been one of the biggest problems with POWER is the
different type of boot loaders required.