Re: [opensuse-ppc] No More Official PPC Distro
  • From: Peter Czanik <pczanik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 21:01:49 +0100
Hello,

We use a lot of PPC based embedded controllers for work (variously
running OS-9 or VxWorks) and I've long entertained plans to get it onto
one of them, this would be some way from trivial though as there's
neither a CD nor USB! This project would be with a colleague who also
has a G3 iMac as well as coding skills.

As long as Linux boots on the board in any form, it should not be
difficult. My first mpc5121e devel board only had serial port and
ethernet functional, and after a few days work, openSUSE booted on it :-)
Basically there are two possibilities:
- if the current SuSE kernel can't be patched to boot on the board, then
one can compile everything in a monster monolithic kernel to support
installation and booting. This approach worked with both openSUSE and
Debian/Ubuntu on the mpc5121e and other boards.
- if the current SuSE kernel can be configured and/or patched to boot on
a given board, then it is more elegant to use SuSE kernel sources with
default config + additional hw support (I used mkinstallinitrd or
something similar, I can't recall any more). This is what I used for the
mpc8610 developer system
Of course, one can skip creating an installer, when there is an
installed PPC system available. Just make a copy to NFS and boot a
kernel from TFTP. Possibilites are endless :-)
Once factory is synced out again and I got a little time, I try to port
it to my mpc8610 (G4 on lots of steroids :-) ) system, as that is my
fastest PPC machine at the moment.
Bye,
CzP