[opensuse-ppc] Return back to old,good SuSE PPC distribution.
  • From: ajcb@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 21:11:04 +0100
Hello! I started using Linux and OpenSource software with SuSE 7.0
PowerPC
on my iMac,back to year 2000.I used it to 2004 when it was already
completely
outdated(SuSE stopped support to Desktop PPC in 2002 I think).I
changed to
YellowDog and DebianPPC which I use now.I am going to change my HD
to 80GB
and for sentimental reasons I do want(and can) keep the newly
refreshed
OpenSuSE-PPC along with DebianPPC,MacOSX and 2 BSDs (OpenBSD and
FreeBSD).
However I have some questions:

1)With Debian,apt-get can install,upgrade etc. packages with strong
security
checks(using a Debian release cryptographic key and gnupg),can the
yum
version (in 10.3PPC and 11.0PPC) do the same?

2)Can OpenSuSE-PPC deal with sound in iMacs rev.A August 1998?
ALSA,jack,
ardour,audacity working right?

Suggestion: In Debian I can install without burning(or using any
CD,DVD etc.),
just from a harddisk HFS partition(with
vmlinux,yaboot,yaboot.conf,initrd.gz
on it) and booting from OpenFirmware to that same partition,the
computer
boots and searches for the installer .iso which we can have on a
USB flash
key for example.That .iso file is 220MB basic install or 650MB more
featured
install(X,KDE etc.),much less than a DVD .iso of 4GB,even with a
DSL connection
is a painful download.

Thanks.

--
Internet Security Software - Click here.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dJxHAD70Cpw8lxDPsh1z1I0JRGq7N3HZJ0X1P9x46q5WY9A/