/sbin/lilo fails on SuSE10 install on Mac Mini
  • From: Julian Seward <julian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:53:54 +0100

I'm trying to install SuSE10 on a Mac Mini, having successfully
installed it on an old iMac DV400. I carefully followed all the
directions at http://www.opensuse.org/PPC, and the install goes
through OK, but nothing I can do will persuade lilo to be happy.

When I run it, I get:

linux:~ # /sbin/lilo
running on pmac_new
BOOT_DEVICEPATH = /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:2
OTHER_DEVICEPATH = /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:7
hmount: /dev/hda2: not a Macintosh HFS volume (Invalid argument)

It's this last line I'm concerned about. The partition map is:

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
#: type name length base ( size )
1: Apple_partition_map 'Apple ' 63 @ 1
2: Apple_Bootstrap 'bootstrap ' 20480 @ 64 ( 10.0M)
3: Apple_HFS 'spare_hfs ' 20480 @ 20544 ( 10.0M)
4: Linux 'spare_linux ' 20480 @ 41024 ( 10.0M)
5: Linux 'swap ' 2048000 @ 61504 (1000.0M)
6: Linux 'root ' 106573104 @ 2109504 ( 50.8G)
7: Apple_HFS 'Apple_HFS_Untitled_4' 47618864 @ 108682608 ( 22.7G)
8: Apple_Free ' ' 16 @ 156301472

My reading of the opensuse.org web pages is that I should direct the
bootloader to /dev/hda2. hda6 is root. hda7 contains a MacOS install.
My lilo.conf is:

boot=/dev/hda2
timeout=100
default=linux