Re: [suse-ppc] DHCP problem with 7.3
  • From: Steven Bedrick <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:59:35 -0800
> > Can you try an older kernel sth. before 2.4.7-pre3. I suspect a kernel
> > related problem in networking on B&W G3 after 2.4.7-pre3, but I'm not
> > quite sure it's the same in your case.
> > Can someone else comment on that? (Olav, are you still alive?)

I haven't tried the older kernel, is there a suggestion on which particular
one I should try? I'm also not too clear about how I would go about testing a
diff. kernel...

> good suggestion to find out first whether the network as such is dead or
> just the name resolution or something else.

The network's fine, as restarting rcdhclient temporarily solves the problem.

> Also check whether dhclient is running ('pidof dhclient') and grep in
> the logs ('grep dhc /var/log/messages | tail -10).

'pidof dhclient' didn't return anything, nor did 'pidof rcdhclient'. Even
when name resolution is working fine, neither command returns anything.

There's nothing in /var/log/messages about dhclient, except for the messages
generated by restarting it.

-SB

--
"As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty,
and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a