Re: [suse-ppc] Dual Boot on New Apple iBOOK
  • From: haystack <haystack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 14:38:37 -0400
I finally found some time to play with the new ibook...

Dual booting on my ibook is working just fine now, but I'm having problems with a heck of a lot of modules not being found after changing "alias eth0 off" to "alias eth0 gmac" in the /etc/modules.conf file.

I can bring up the NIC manually from the command line interface by issuing the following commands:

1) insmod gmac
2) rcnetwork start
3) route add default gw 128.121.35.1

OR

1) insmod gmac
2) ifconfig eth0 128.121.35.6 netmask 255.255.255.248 broadcast 128.121.35.7
3) route add default gw 128.121.35.1

OR

1) insmod gmac
2) use the graphical yast to set up networking, which adds the default gatway.

The root of this issue appears to also affect my modem & sound not working. So, if you can point out what the issue might be for the NIC, it may also solve my other modules not being found.

Thanks!

Olaf Hering wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 03, haystack wrote:
>
> > Olaf Hering wrote:
> >
> > > The /etc/modules.conf should contain:
> > >
> > > alias eth0 gmac
> > >
> > > Run "depmod -a" and "rcnetwork start"
> > >
> > > Can you send me the "dmesg" output?
> > >
> > > Gruss Olaf
> >
> > I changed the line in /etc/modules.conf
> > from:
> > alias eth0 off
> > to:
> > alias eth0 gmac
> >
> > then ran "depmod -a"
> >
> > after running "rcnetwork start" I received the same error messages as earlier:
> >
> > Setting up network device eth0
> > SIOCSIFADDR: No such Device
> > eth0: unknown interface: No such device
> > SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
> > eth0: unknown interface: No such device
> > SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> > done
> >
> > The /var/log/messages file contains many "modprobe: modprob: Invalid line 200" ...223 etc
>
> something is wrong with these lines.
>
> Try "insmod gmac" and "dmesg |tail", it should tell you something about
> PHY and such.
>
> > Running dmesg generates a lot of output, but I have no way of getting it from the notebook to this system to email to you, as the NIC is the problem, and I do not have an external floppy drive. Would you like to know anything in particular?
>
> You can use hfsutils to copy files to a HFS partition
>
> dmesg > myfile
> hmount /dev/hda9
> hcopy -t myfile :
> humount