Re: [opensuse-packaging] RFC: Cleanup of packages - checking doc files
Am 19.01.2012 11:50, schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
I just filed feature #313152 - to have a smaller base system which is
beneficial for appliances.

Looking at a basic installation (default text server install), I noticed
that we have in /usr/share/doc/packages besides the license (which we need
to keep) also other files.

An example is glib2, it installs to /usr/share/doc/packages/libglib-2_0-0:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1344 Aug 16 02:51 AUTHORS
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1895792 Oct 14 15:51 ChangeLog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25292 Aug 16 02:51 COPYING
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 197710 Oct 14 15:30 NEWS
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9906 Oct 14 15:51 README

I suggest to move everything to the devel package (or a doc package if it
exists).

On IRC, Vincent and Sascha suggested to keep README, NEWS (and maybe
AUTHORS) in the base package and move only ChangeLog to the devel package.
Another idea was to compress these files.

My personal opinion is that the vast majority of our users does not need
any of these. Those developers that need it, will get it from the devel/doc
packages.

What do you think? Any other ideas on getting a smaller base system?

Note: I don't want to make this a hard rule, more a recommendation.

Andreas
A fine rule of thumb but not a good idea for an automatism.
I don't want to split like 100 library rpms into library.rpm and library-devel.rpm just because there is some text which arguably goes to /usr/share/doc. It would tempt packagers to simply hide docs somewhere near the test cases to safe the pain.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer

B1 Systems GmbH