Re: [opensuse-packaging] RFC: Cleanup of packages - checking doc files
On Thursday 19 January 2012, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

On IRC, Vincent and Sascha suggested to keep README, NEWS (and maybe
AUTHORS) in the base package and move only ChangeLog to the devel
package. Another idea was to compress these files.

My personal opinion is that the vast majority of our users does not
need any of these. Those developers that need it, will get it from
the devel/doc packages.

But on a usual system it's not even worth to safe a few _MEGA_bytes.
Should we also drop support for
rpm -q --changelog ...
to safe ~1M on joe public's system with 1T HD?

What do you think? Any other ideas on getting a smaller base system?

Isn't rpm --excludepath doing the right thing optionally to be used to
get a small base systems?

Note: I don't want to make this a hard rule, more a recommendation.

I don't think these standard files above are the worst space consumers
in /usr/share/doc/packages. I guess you could safe more space by
cleaning up some of the big boys manually first.

For example here is a lot trash to drop
/usr/share/doc/packages/zsh/

cu,
Rudi