Re: [opensuse-packaging] Breaking the loop with pkg-config 0.26
Le jeudi 12 janvier 2012, à 10:31 +0100, Richard Guenther a écrit :
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Vincent Untz wrote:

Le jeudi 12 janvier 2012, à 09:05 +0100, Ludwig Nussel a écrit :
Vincent Untz wrote:
The issue here is that to fix the loop, we'd need to eradicate the
pkg-config dependency on everything that is below glib2. This includes
at least libffi-devel, libselinux-devel, pcre-devel and zlib-devel. And
libraries that might be below those.

This sounds annoying, as it's easy to re-introduce a build loop. On the
other hand, I don't really see what else we can do.

Would it be possible to build a special, minimal bootstrap glib that
is only used for building pkg-config?
A trick like that is used by other packages too (krb5-mini,
ghostscript-mini, etc ...).

Actually, we could do this with pkg-config, and that would be similar to
the idea I had a few months ago: just keep the old pkg-config as
pkg-config-mini, and use this one for libffi, zlib, etc.

Why not provide the ability do to the Requires/Provides detection
without requiring an installed pkg-config? It looks doable even
with a shell script!

We could do that, yes. Michael, do you think this could go upstream if
we do it?

Anyway, that pkg-config uses glib sounds totally useless to me,
given its simple tasks. So why not rip out that requirement from

Because upstream wants to use glib...

Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.