Re: [opensuse-packaging] split of ncurses library
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:07:14 +0100
* Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> [2011-11-24 15:10]:
On 23.11.2011 20:15, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 23. November 2011, 16:06:32 schrieb Guido Berhoerster:
* Stephan Kulow<coolo@xxxxxxx> [2011-11-22 10:09]:
Werner split libltinfo from libncurses and so we see a lot of build
failures due to programs linking -lncurses and expecting functions
there that are now in -lltinfo and as library dependencies are not
longer taken into account, there is a huge fallout.

The right fix is to use ncurses-config --libs - note that Fedora
and debian have the same split, so packages failing have a high
chance of having a patch floating around in the internet :)

This breaks almost every single application using curses. It is
also not what Fedora and Debian have done and thus there are
mostly no such patches. While they provide separate libtinfo
packages they also have linker scripts which ensure that
applications linking against ncurses/ncursesw always link against
-ltinfo too. Can we please do that as well to restore sanity?

Don't shoot the messenger, I just pointed out the facts. But as you
seem to have already looking into it, can't you provide such a linker
script?

Werner submitted a fixed ncurses now, so everyone can ignore
libtinfo again :)

Thanks, that's much better.
--
Guido Berhoerster