Re: [opensuse-packaging] in a lib package, where does the copyright info go?
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Marcus Meissner wrote:

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 08:55:57AM +0200, Petr Gajdos wrote:
1) libFOO
2) libFOOX where X comes from the SONAME and contains the .so.x.x.x
3) libFOO-devel

I am not a lawyer, so only common sense tels me that if any piece of
libFOO (libFOO, libFOOX, libFOO-devel or other) is installed, then
appropriate license must be present (by this subpackage or its
requirement). This is in contradiction with our Shared library packaging
policy though.

/usr/share/doc/packages/<pkgname>/ seems like a fine place for it
and would not collide.

Yes, /usr/share/doc/packages/<sub-pkgname>/ would be ok even for libFOOX
(but not /usr/share/doc/packages/libFOO/ for libFOOX for example).

If I put on an IANAL hat then every subpackage has to contain the
license information. But _at least_ it should be present if any
of the packages are installed. Thus, as usually libFOO-devel requires
libFOOX the license should be present in libFOOX. It should always
be present in libFOOX as that can be installed separately without
any other subpackages.

Thus, the shared library policy should be amended that it's ok
to put _license_ information (but not readme, news, etc.) for
the shared-library package libFOOX into /usr/share/doc/packages/libFOOX/.

I'm going to amend it this way.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>