Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Killing processes in %post?
  • From: Rob Davies <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 09:10:48 +0100
On 29 July 2011 08:44, Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:04:24 +0200
schrieb Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 07/27/2011 02:56 PM, Yamaban wrote:
That only shows one thing: dconf-service is not able to do a
"graceful-restart",

So what seems like a good idea is to use
"killall -SIGHUP dconf-service"
or
"killall -SIGUSR1 dconf-service"
and patch dconf-service to do a graceful restart when these signals are
received, right?

No. If I have a script "dconf-service" which has nothing to do with your
dconf-service, it will get killed.

You need to make sure to only kill the dconf-services that belong to your
package. Which is very hard.

Slap the authors with a very big clue stick. If they break it like this,
they need some way to restart it, be it via a dbus signal or by at least
writing proper pidfiles somewhere so that you can check if you are
killing the correct program.

Does netstat output help any? I don't have "dconf" running on my
system but the socket path may be an attribute of the right service :

# netstat -lp |grep dbus
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 15540
4439/dbus-daemon @/tmp/dbus-U3uo82lGlj
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 7291
1337/dbus-daemon /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
# netstat --unix -p | grep dbus
{ copious output }

Agree that a "RESTART" or "STOP" feature in protocol makes sense.

Rob