[opensuse-packaging] Re: HAL and related
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:08:57 +0200
Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Monday, July 18, 2011 00:14:02 Rob OpenSuSE wrote:
On 17 July 2011 21:37, Patrick Shanahan<paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Rob OpenSuSE<rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxx> [07-17-11 15:26]:
On 1 June 2011 08:43, Andreas Jaeger<aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You can add hal to the KDE3 repository if KDE3 is the only users of
hal.

It's indeed time that hal dies...

In the current factory aka 12.1 M3 it appears that though there's no
package dependency defined :

pm-profiler-0.1_git20101115-9.2.noarch
yast2-power-management-2.18.1-10.2.noarch

May be need some work, there's no package "haldaemon" (which there was
in 11.4). Is this in hand, or would a bug report be useful?

No, there was no "haldaemon" package, it is/was:
hal-32bit-0.5.14-18.1.x86_64
hal-0.5.14-18.1.x86_64

invoked as "/usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes"

Fair enough, but when I was looking for hal stuff, this was in
pm-profiler changelog, which may have been HAL replacement, so I used
that name :

Mon 26 Jan 2009 12:00:00 UTC
hmacht@xxxxxxx
- replace "Requires: . hal ." with "Requires: . haldaemon ." in
rcpm-profiler (bnc#429541)

The packages don't seem to have the requires correct, so there's a
problem in any case; it does not "just work". I first found something
required was not pulled in with Tumbleweed (based on default KDE
install), and finding this removal of HAL message I'm wondering
whether this is an overlooked issue or not.

The balanced low latency profile has a line : HAL_DISABLE_POLLING="yes"
If the HAL daemon package called "hal" is being got rid of, unlike
11.4 then you can't just install the packages.

You should be able to install, it will just not work ;-(

Rob, since you found this:
Could you file a bug against pm-profiler, please? We have now dropped hal and
the package does not require hal in it's spec file but uses it in the rcpm-
profiler script.

Already done: 706364

cu
Ludwig