Re: [opensuse-packaging] RPMLINT warning: W: non-etc-or-var-file-marked-as-conffile /srv/www/htdocs/*
Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Ralf Lang wrote:
while packaging horde4 I noticed the rpmlint warning
horde4.noarch: W: non-etc-or-var-file-marked-as-conffile
/srv/www/htdocs/horde4/config/conf.php.dist

If config files are allowed to live in /var (where web apps used to live in
old times) why are they not allowed in /srv ?

Good topic. Why do web apps not adhere to the traditional layout we
are used to anyways?
/srv is a mess. It mixes vendor files with user files, config files
with static data, binaries with state databases etc.
This is not specific to horde of course but let's use it as example.
Why not keep the default document root /srv/www/htdocs clean and put
horde to e.g. /usr/share/horde4, it's config files to /etc/horde4
and it's database or whatever variable data it has to
/var/lib/horde4?

Looking at Fedora they do exactly that. Taking phpMyAdmin as random
sample their package does not contain excessive patches or symlink
tricks to make it work. So getting a clean /srv isn't that hard at
all.

cu
Ludwig

--