Re: [opensuse-packaging] On Python packages naming
On 04/15/2011 05:10 PM, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
Just search for "markdown" on PyPI and tell me which one we package in
"python-markdown" w/o looking at the source tarball. There are other examples,
this ambiguity is what I want to have avoided. It's not about what a human may
be able to grasp from a package name, it's what scripts are able to do. From
our current, lazy package names you can't deduce what they provide.

It's nice to know what the upstream name is and I understand your reasoning why
python-pyenchant is the right name.

My example package 'python-enchant' is a perfect example, for one or another
reason it also provides 'PyEnchant', which is a name you may find on the
upstream web page. Neither this nor the package name have anything to do with
'pyenchant', the result you would find by search PyPi (or using pip,
easy_install, ...).

And now consider this packages has a requires on pyenchant in it's setup.py
file. How do you translate that into a BuildRequires/Requires for our existing
packages?
If it provides pyenchant that will satisfy rpm and the files provided by python-pyenchant are the same no matter how it's built so a BuildRequires: pyenchant will pull in the necessary files but for a manual Requires: I'd put python-pyenchant. For cross distro compatability, which is a territory I'm only starting to explore, a universal Provides: pyenchant helps a lot. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case, Fedora's python-enchant and Mandriva's package python-enchant provide PyEnchant and their packages are both named the same as our original package name. There should be some agreement across distributions about providing the correct upstream name which PyEnchant isn't but in a not so ideal world our package should provide it too. All said and done, I get the impression that the developers of these packages are targeting msWindows and Mac.

-- Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Sascha Peilicke http://saschpe.wordpress.com

Dave P