Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Coping with the recent Boost update
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 09:21:15 +0100
2011/3/26 Bernhard Walle <bernhard@xxxxxxxxx>:
* Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2011-03-25 23:09]:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 22:50:29 +0100
Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

So it knows that if nothing requires libz anymore, it can autoremove it,
but it will not autoremove busybox, opkg or strace.

I'm not aware that RPM can do this.

From ZYpp's /var/log/zypp/history:

Unfortunately, that's a logfile, rotated and deleted from time to time.
IMHO it would belong in the RPM database.

How can RPM know that if a package was installed to satisfy a dependency
or by user intention? IMO it belongs at libzypp level, of course not in
a logfile. :)

At ZYpp level it misses installs/removes directly from RPM ("rpm -e"
is shorter than "zypper rm") and other package managers (Smart PM).
To make it clear, I wasn't suggesting to use /var/log/zypp/history but
saying that, since openSUSE 11.3, ZYpp **is** using
/var/log/zypp/history for this purpose. And I don't think that
specific file is "rotated and deleted from time to time" since, sure,
it would break the system.

Anyway, if someone wants this to be changed he should submit a patch,
open a bug report, or at least discuss this in zypp-devel, not in
opensuse-packaging. When libzypp 7.4 was released I asked about this
(http://lists.opensuse.org/zypp-devel/2010-05/msg00002.html), but
since nobody else asked I supposed I was the only one interested.