Re: [opensuse-packaging] Renaming a package
Am 17.02.2011 10:26, schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:
2011/2/17 Christian <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
try

Provides: pac = 1.0
Obsoletes: pac < 1.0

I'm not so worried about making an specific package work as I'm about
having wrong documentation.
Are you sure that will trigger the update from pac 1.0 to newpack 1.1?
Notice you are no longer "obsoleting" pac 1.0.

The docs say "Strictly speaking, giving the old package name in the
Provides: field is only needed if another package requires the old
package name". From that I understand it's the Obsoletes the thing
that triggers the update. But this seems to be in contradiction with
"However, the Provides: entry triggers the selection of the new
package during update. It is this field which tells, I'm taking over
for the old package. The Obsoletes: just ensures an atomic replacement
so that no dependencies are broken".

If a leaf package is renamed, will it be updated with only the
Provides? I can't test right now, but I don't think so.

Hmm, I'm also wondering sometimes about it if I ever got it right I
forgot it again ;-)

But is the correct usage not like:
Provides: pac = %{version}
Obsoletes: pac <= LATEST_AVAILABLE_VERSION_WITH_NAME_PAC
?
I guess that's only correct if the version increases with the name
change though.

Wolfgang