Re: [opensuse-packaging] Need help with libname.
* Dave Plater (davejplater@xxxxxxxxx) [20110208 22:15]:

I suppose we need to set him right with a patch, there's no activity
with the bug yet.

I'm finishing a patch that uses -release. Therefor the libs will be called
lib<xyz>-1.9.so. If upstream decides to really care for the ABI and thus use
-version we can easily cahnge that.

I'm planning on attempting to use autotools for a makeinstall of the
collada libraries (scons build system)

That would at least increase the number of folks that understand the
configuration.

it looks very easy to use and the documentation is easy to understand.

Don't be fooled. The autotools can get rather tricky in some cases, but on
the whole automake does IMNSHO make things rather easy. And the
documentation is better then that for other build systems.

BTW, I finally found the reason for the libxxx-1.9.so.0.0.0! configure.ac
has

MJPEG_MAJOR_VERSION=1
MJPEG_MINOR_VERSION=9
MJPEG_MICRO_VERSION=0
MJPEG_VERSION=$MJPEG_MAJOR_VERSION.$MJPEG_MINOR_VERSION.$MJPEG_MICRO_VERSION

LT_RELEASE=$MJPEG_MAJOR_VERSION.$MJPEG_MINOR_VERSION
LT_CURRENT=$MJPEG_MICRO_VERSION
LT_REVISION=$MJPEG_MICRO_VERSION
LT_AGE=$MJPEG_MICRO_VERSION

AC_SUBST(LT_RELEASE)
AC_SUBST(LT_CURRENT)
AC_SUBST(LT_REVISION)
AC_SUBST(LT_AGE)
AC_SUBST(LT_STATIC)

Which explains why LT_CURRENT, LT_REVISION and LT_AGE are all set to 0. And
then the Makefile.am files have:

-version-info $(LT_CURRENT):$(LT_REVISION):$(LT_AGE) \
-release $(LT_RELEASE) $(EXTRA_LDFLAGS)

which results to '-version-info 0:0:0 -release 1.9' being passed to libtool
and that's exactly what you get.

Philipp