Re: [opensuse-packaging] rpmlint-checks: adding new gnome/desktop-related checks
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:44:50 +0100
2011/1/16 Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>:
2010/10/8 Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Le vendredi 08 octobre 2010, à 18:57 +0200, Cristian Morales Vega a écrit :
2010/10/8 Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Anyway. The thing is that those macros are all nice, but nobody will
think about using them if they don't have rpmlint checks. So I wrote
some checks.

[...]

As discussed at
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2010-08/msg00017.html the
installer's people don't really like gtk-update-icon-cache, have you
talked with Lukas Ocilka?

I didn't have time yet. FWIW, we can find a better solution later: it's
a macro, so we'll be able to change it in one place if we find something
better.

So, what's the final decision? We are at two months from 11.4 release
and the status in Factory seems to be:
- SuSEconfig.gtk2 has been removed
- rpmlint doesn't complain about packages with icons not running
%icon_theme_cache_post

So nothing is running gtk-update-icon-cache, whatever you install from
zypper or YaST. I have not seen the %icon_theme_cache_post macro used
even in the GNOME:Factory packages.
What should I do with my packages that install icons?

FWIW, if instead of calling gtk-update-icon-cache on each package
installation you change the %icon_theme_cache_post(un) macros to use
ZYpp's update-scripts
(http://lists.opensuse.org/zypp-devel/2010-06/msg00005.html) you have
my vote to add those checks today. That should solve any problem with
the installer.

Michael, are update-scripts still the best way to run something that
needs to be done for a lot of packages and it is enough if it's run
once after all packages have been installed (ldconfig doesn't
applies)? Or there is something new in the RPM version from 11.4
("Collections", file triggers or whatever upstream has done recently)?
There is any good documentation about update-scripts?