Re: [opensuse-packaging] Cannot disable an rpmlint error message
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:30:33 -0500
On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 23 December 2010 17:56:42 Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

So this message is impossible to disable?

Why would you want the function to return random crap instead of a
defined value ?

Simply because returning zero makes not much more sense. I am not the author
of that software and I see no reason why returning 0 is better than some other
random value. If it is not used, why to patch?

Patching requires efforts and maintenance so that the patch to remain
compatible with future versions. Also the program can have no-return problem
in multiple places. Just mechanically adding "return 0" or "return 10" does
not make the program's behavior more predictable.

Just guessing, but it sounds like the right fix is to change the
function return type to "void".

Greg