Re: [opensuse-packaging] "Supplements: packageand" documentation?
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:07:13 +0100
Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2010/12/11 Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>:
2010/12/10 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>:
Am Freitag, 10. Dezember 2010 schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:
The xine package contains a

"Supplements: packageand(libpulse0:libxine1)"

All I could find was
http://lists.opensuse.org/zypp-commit/2007-04/msg00133.html

I have been trying to look in the code. But it's big, somehow it
parses packageand(x:y) dependencies without a single packageand string
in the code (but a test case generator), the old SVN repo is not

...because the parsing code is in libsatsolver. So, the list of
special dependencies is:

- "Conflicts: otherproviders(<package>)"
No idea what it is supposed to do...

Workaround for missing self-conflicts in rpm I suppose. Makes sure
that only one instance of a package that provides a certain feature
is installed. Used for branding packages AFAICS although
postfix/sendmail/exim used to be the prime example for such a
feature.

- "Provides: <package>:<file>"
To split a package. No idea about what paper <file> has here... could
it be any string and it would work anyway?

Suppose you have package foo that contains lots of little utility
programs. Then you need to have one of them in a separate package bar
to e.g. avoid excessive package dependencies. On distro upgrade
you'd only get foo updated and lose the tool you've just split off.
Therefore you can put e.g. "Provides: foo:/usr/bin/bar" in bar. When
updating from the old, combined foo package zypp now notices the
split-provides in bar, sees that the installed foo contains
/usr/bin/bar and installs both foo and bar.

- "Supplements: filesystem(<string>)"
Not sure what it is supposed to do. But I suppose "string" is a file

Related to bug 263821. Yast uses that to find the tools for the
specified filesystem.

cu
Ludwig

--