Re: [opensuse-packaging] Renaming of libvorbis to libvorbis0 problem in multimedia:libs
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 03:01:02 +0100
2010/12/10 Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>:
A large number of packages in multimedia:libs have been broken due to
renaming of libvorbis to subpackage libvorbis0. The package contains
libvorbisenc.so.2.0.8, libvorbisfile.so.3.3.4 and libvorbis.so.0.4.5 so
IMHO should have either been left alone or split into 3 sub packages.

Split in three packages is the only correct solution if the libraries
change soname independently. I don't really know, but it would be the
safe thing to do.

But in any case libvorbis is *wrong*, it doesn't allows for parallel
installation in case of a soname change. libvorbis0 is better and
totally correct if the three libraries change its soname in sync.

I've tried splitting it but it doesn't solve the problem caused by the
rename which is libsndfile now requires both libvorbis0 and libvorbis
for 11.3 downwards causing a problem. I'm now going to bed, can somebody

libsndfile doesn't require libvorbis0 or libvorbis, it requires only
"libvorbisenc.so.2"... that is provided by both libvorbis0, from
multimedia:libs, and libvorbis from pre-11.4 main repos.

But I see the problem. Now packages that buildrequire libsndfile-devel
fail to start to build with "have choice for libvorbisenc.so.2 needed
by libsndfile: libvorbis0 libvorbis".
I'm quite surprised the OBS doesn't directly select libvorbis0. But
this should be fixed with a something like "Prefer: libvorbis0" in
multimedia:libs' prjconf.