Re: [opensuse-packaging] Tumbleweed "vendor" question
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:04:39 -0800
On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 05:58:39PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
I added the repo to zypper, but when trying to do an update on a package
that I know is newer, I get the following error from zypper:
There is an update candidate for 'git', but it is from a
different vendor. Use 'zypper install git-1.7.3.2-43.1.i586' to
install this candidate.

Now I don't really want to have to have every user do this by hand for
each package that gets added to tumbleweed, so how do I get this to be
automatically overridden due to the fact that the 'git' package really
is newer, and it should be installed.

Note, when running 'zypper dup' it says that there is nothing to do, I
only get the above message when explicitly asking that git be installed,
eventhough git is installed.

Anything I can do to the repo to keep this from happening?

in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf

##
## EXPERTS ONLY: Per default the solver will not replace packages of
## different vendors, unless you explicitly ask to do so. Setting this
## option to TRUE will disable this vendor check (unless the application
## explicitly re-enables it). Packages will then be considered based on
## repository priority and version only. This may easily damage your
system.
##
## CHANGING THE DEFAULT IS NOT RECOMMENDED.
##
## Valid values: boolean
## Default value: false
##
# solver.allowVendorChange = false
#### Change ####
solver.allowVendorChange = true

Ah. Is this something that we really want to require for people using
Tumbleweed?

I've seen packages change vendors on 'zypper dup', but this only seems
to show up when there are other "normal" updates available at the same
time. Why would that time override this option?

thanks,

greg k-h