Re: [opensuse-packaging] New top-level project: utilities
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:23:48 +0100
On 2010-11-15 14:41:50 (+0100), Petr Uzel <petr.uzel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 01:53:40PM +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Montag 15 November 2010 schrieb Jean Delvare:
I pretty much doubt you want to move less out of Base:System, given
that man depends on it.

What definition of Base:System is that statement based on? man depends
on _tons_ of things not in Base:System.

I just created request to delete less from utilities - let it stay in
Base:System only.

Couldn't we use utilities/less as a devel for Base:System/less ?
(or is Base:System already the devel project for Factory ?)

That being said, I would personally feel a bit uncomfortable doing SRs
for Base:System, as it sounds like it is a very critical project which
needs very conservative handling (of new versions and such).
Or is that just an impression? :)

My point is that we might be able to maintain a "latest and greatest"
less in utilities, rather than in Base:System. Well... if "latest and
greatest" applies to less in the first place.. erm... probably not.

But coolo wants Base:System to become smaller, so why move less back
into Base:System now ?

Let's please clarify that with coolo first :)
Hey! I'm just one of the 300 maintainers of it - but I see a huge tendency of
"if I don't get what devel projects are for, I pick Base:System", so
Base:System shouldn't become smaller per se, but should have a clear
definition that people can stick to. And all definitions I can come up with
happen to mean a smaller Base:System, yes.

And I think pasky's definition is roughly the one it should be.

Greetings, Stephan