Re: [opensuse-packaging] How to create a man page in your spec file.
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 13:24:40 +0200
On 11/09/2010 09:43 AM, Peter Linnell wrote:
On 11/8/10 2:02 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 08/11/10 09:29, Dave Plater escribió:
I thought I should share this with the list.
Factory rpmlint check now wants to see a man page for everything under
/usr/bin,

That check is crazy ;) it even wants man pages for rc$yourservice
symlinks, I would just ignore it.

Well, if I recall correctly, Debian requires a man page for all
executables.

/etc/init.d scripts might be different...

I think the warning for non-symlinked exectuables is very sensible.

The issue here is how can packagers add missing man pages without lots
of extra work and are there simple tools to create them with correct
syntax. The only gui tool I know of is Manedit, but its GTK1 and not
maintained.

Peter
It was the debian blender maintainer that created blender.1 man page.
Help2man creates a reasonable man page from the help output of an
executable or it's info page if present and it has options for merging
text from files. The example I gave for creating a man page for
blenderplayer in the spec file needs a bit of sed ing to remove the
unwanted -h "" because the executable refused to give a help output
without looking for a .blend file first but if help2man is used with a
normal --help output the man page is fine. I've sr 52400 to update
help2man to version 1.38.2 which has a couple of new features and works
even better than the existing version.
Regards
Dave P