Re: [opensuse-packaging] drop %suse_update_desktop_files macro
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:51:34 +0100
2010/10/25 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>:
Am Montag 25 Oktober 2010 schrieb Pavol Rusnak:
Hi all!

In order to make our specs more cross-distro-friendly we would like to
drop %suse_update_desktop_files macro. It is currently being discussed
in this feature: https://features.opensuse.org/310621 . Ludwig suggested
Wow, you managed to discuss removing the macro without adding the maintainer
to the feature?

that all translation magic we do could be moved into brp-script instead
of doing it in %install phase. Is it possible? Do we have an expert in
this area who could help porting it? :-) Once this is done, we can
replace %suse_update_desktop_files with desktop-file-install if needed
(but for most cases removing the call should be enough).
For all cases where this is done for translation only, it can most likely be
dropped. But there are many cases were this is used to change the name or
genericname (and remove outdated translations) without having to use a patch
that would break whenver translations change.

Because packagers are lazy, they would end up changing the genericname without
removing outdated translations, providing the macro is a good way to make lazy
packagers do the right thing.

And you have a way to mark desktop files _not_ to be translated, something you
can't find out with just a brp script.

But that sounds like a plan:
1. move the translation magic to a brp script (possibly even one added by
  prjconf, so we can remove the ugly hack that checks things based on project
  name)
2. change the calls that add and remove categories in the package to use some
  upstream technology
3. make suse_update_desktop_file fail if it's a noop
4. leave the rest in and make them optional if building against openSUSE

Seems OK to me.

Just something I just noticed: it seems "%suse_update_desktop_files"
doesn't works with .directory files. Perhaps this could be fixed in
this new brp script?
I noticed this with wine: It adds new entries to the menu layout and
.directory files for them (see
/usr/share/desktop-directories/wine-Programs.directory).