Re: [opensuse-packaging] rpmlint-checks: adding new gnome/desktop-related checks
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 01:04:36 +0200
2010/10/8 Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Le vendredi 08 octobre 2010, à 18:57 +0200, Cristian Morales Vega a écrit :
As discussed at
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2010-08/msg00017.html the
installer's people don't really like gtk-update-icon-cache, have you
talked with Lukas Ocilka?

I didn't have time yet. FWIW, we can find a better solution later: it's
a macro, so we'll be able to change it in one place if we find something
better.

This should be really be talked with whoever is the "RPM man" in
openSUSE. What's the status of file triggers? Googling "file triggers
site:lists.rpm.org" it seems nobody is working in them. But there was
that "Collections" thing not too long ago.
In fact I would really like a "RPM status report" from time to time. I
would be tempted to think RPM development is still slow, nearly
dead... until I see the GIT log and see it's actually very active! I'm
sure we are not using things provided by new RPM versions only because
we don't know about them. I just looked in my 11.3 system... why is
ping still using SUID instead of file capabilities? (just saw them in
the RPM's GIT log)

Mandriva has a file triggers patch, true? I'm sure it isn't in
upstream RPM because their implementation has some problems... but are
those problems worse than the ones we face when calling
gtk-update-icon-cache and some others from every package? If we use
that patch, once an official solution is there the spec files will
need to be changed?

And shouldn't the %desktop_database_* checks check for MimeType
entries in the desktop files before complaining? It's my understanding
that update-desktop-database does nothing if there are no MimeType
entries.

Right. I was wondering if it was worth it. But since it's not hard to
do... Updated checks attached.

It would be nice to comment the MimeType entries thing in the error
message. But otherwise, without knowing a thing about all those
GTK/GDK/GNOME/GLIB things, the macros seem an improvement to me.